Well it only took me a week to finish my table runner and I couldn’t be more pleased with the final result. Steve wasn’t too sure what he thought of this project when I first described it to him, but he absolutely loves it now. It really does seem to fit so perfectly in our farmhouse kitchen and I’m pleased with the colors I chose for it.
Since the penny rugs were originally made with pennies sewn into the corners, I came up with the idea of finding an 1887 penny (the year of our house) to include in my table runner. I found one on eBay and it was delivered the day I finished the runner. I had already decided that I wouldn’t sew my penny into the runner, but rather attach it to the center circle with velcro so it would be visible and be a fun conversation piece besides. The runner can be cleaned by hand so I can just take off the penny when it is time for it to be cleaned. I had such fun sewing the felt pieces using the blanket stitch that now my head is spinning for other ideas using this same process.
Here are some photos of the finished table runner.